Wood Haven Health Care

  • Increase font size
  • Default font size
  • Decrease font size
Home About Us

About Us

Wood Haven Health Care Senior Living & Rehabilitation is a skilled and intermediate nursing facility, offering long-term care and short-term rehabilitation. Our 95 bed facility is both Medicare and Medicaid certified and accepts most private insurance. Our rehabilitation facility offers physical, occupational and speech therapy.

History

Infirmary residents shucking peas, circa 1940s.

On February 26, 1816 the Ohio General Assembly authorized boards of county commissioners to construct county poor houses for the care of paupers.  Reports showed poor farms became a home of the old, crippled, and sick out of necessity and as a result the state of Ohio changed the name from poor farm to infirmary in 1850.  Wood County purchased 160 acres of land in 1868 and constructed a brick, two-story main building to operate as the county infirmary.  Over the next 30 years a third story was added to the main building along with two more wings.  Additionally, various outbuildings were constructed.  The Ohio State Board of Charities was established in 1867 to investigate and report on the conditions of county infirmaries throughout the state of Ohio.  With progressive changes with the special care of people and the mindset by government officials to present a positive outlook about public charity institutions, names were changed in 1919 from infirmary to county home.  The Ohio State Board of Charities also rebranded to become known as the Ohio Department of Public Welfare. By 1969 the residents living at the original county poor farm building faced obstacles due to lack of mobility between floors and antiquated restroom facilities.  The decision was made to construct a new home for the aged across the street.

In 1971 the county home was relocated and replaced with a modern 125 bed single-story brick building and dedicated as the Wood County Nursing Home.  The original building and acreage was turned over to the Wood County Historical Society, opening in 1975 as a museum dedicated to telling the story of Wood County and the County Home.  Today the site operates as the Wood County Historical Center & Museum.

Renovations in the 1990s included a new kitchen, enlarged dining room, and a new activity area. In 2003, the facility was renamed Wood Haven Health Care, Senior Living & Rehabilitation. A rehabilitation wing renovation and therapy room additions, completed in 2005, offers Physical, Occupational, and Speech Therapy services for both in-house residents and out-patients alike.

Wood Haven Health Care is owned and operated under the Board of Wood County Commissioners.